Behive

So this past week and a half has been a tough one. For those readers of mine (you do exist right?) who didn't know, we lost a very important person in our family. Loosing your mom is a very hard thing to go through, but you know that there is someone who is always having a harder time with it than you. Their Mom. A mother should never have to bury their daughter, and in turn, a child should never have to bury their mother. On Thursday the 18th of February, Mema passed away and joined my Mom for more road trips and shenanigans. I was told that she went in her sleep, much like my mom did. And I can only hope that she knew how much we all loved her.
 
I remember when I was little, she would take my sister and I on the weekends my mom had us sometimes so that my mom could get a little break. On those weekends, we would make cookies on Saturday, go to the park, and on Sunday we would have breakfast. Alex, if you're reading this, I hope you remember this part.... We would make waffles and sit at the table with the red candle holders burning their candles brightly and drink out of the green glasses and be "Fancy girls" as Mema would say. When Rc and my mom were there, we would use normal cups though.... But the point was that she always made time for her Grandchildren and Great-Grandchildren. She might not have gotten our names on the first try, but once she made it through the list, she always got us.
 
A major part of a family is in the Grandparents, and don't let anyone else tell you differently. They are the ones that their children come running too when nothing goes right, and who take care of business when the grand kids need their heads smacked together and a cookie at the same time. They are responsible for giving the extra love that parents can't give and the extra experiences (like the tea sets for a proper tea Mema liked).
 
When you loose sight of what you are supposed to be in life, your Mema tells you how it is. Or, mine always did. I went to see her one day in my Culinary Uniform and brought her Eclairs (her favorite guilty pleasure when she was with me), and she told me that she missed my mom so much. She also told me how proud she would have been of me. At the point, I didn't realize how much that meant to me. Now, as I type this, I realized that she told me exactly what she knew I needed to hear and knew that it was something I would remember my entire life.
 
So, with that said, I hope you are up there with Mom behiving yourself (even though we know you aren't!)!


 

Comments