South Pend Oreille

So today was the Pancake Feed that SPOFR does every year. For me, this was my 6th year doing it and it gets better and better every year. Even though we were only there for a little bit, I had a blast. I came away with some congratulations on my marriage, people telling me not to beat my husband, and smelling like bacon and fire extinguisher (unrelated, I promise).
 
The reason I choose to write about this is because I think that SPOFR is a very important part of my life. For one, it gave me my volunteer hours to graduate. It also helped in other ways. I have been able to serve my community in a number of ways. For example, the pancake feed. Within the first hour this year, we had 80 people coming through the line. That was almost what we had altogether last year! When we left, the count was far past that. I love helping because it means I get to serve members of the community and give back to the guys who save your butt if your house catches on fire or you crash your car. Another really cool thing that I have been able to do is go to training with my Dad. I don't know about you, but I rather like getting to see burn trailers and cars being ripped to shreds. How many people my age can say that they have been inside of a burn trailer while it was going and been able to take pictures of the training? Probably not many.
 
I suppose what brought this post on was thinking about how much that district means to me. I am sitting here in my SPOFR shirt typing this and remembering how much support they gave our family when my mom passed. Not only did they lend us a fire station and a crew for the services, but they actually gave their love and support. It was amazing to know that it doesn't just stop with the people in the district, but it extends to the entire family too. Maybe it isn't that way with bigger districts, I can't say for sure. But I am glad that it is with them.
 
So with that all said, from the pancake feed, to serving coffee on calls, you need to remember to give back to these men and women. They will be the ones who come to save you in your worst moments. For me, they became a second family.
 

Comments